tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mike <>
Subject Re: Watchdog status
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:50:14 GMT
Dear Yoav,

Friday, June 4, 2004, 4:34:59 PM, you wrote:

SY> Hi,
SY> We've been running the Watchdog
SY> (
SY> tests as part of our release process for years now.  However, the
SY> Watchdog project appears dead: one can't join or search mailing lists,
SY> bug reports go unanswered, etc.  I posted a question to jakarta-general
SY> asking for responses from any active watchdog developers or users, and
SY> no one responded as such.

SY> I'm raising this issue for a couple of reasons:
SY> - Using recent versions of Ant (1.6 or later) to build tomcat requires
SY> manual intervention to run the watchdog tests, in that the person
SY> building must copy ant-launcher.jar to the watchdog lib directory.  This
SY> can be fixed easily by fixing watchdog's build.xml (I opened a Bugzilla
SY> item for watchdog for this), or by hacking our build.xml in an ugly
SY> fashion to tweak the Watchdog setup.

SY> - Some Watchdog tests fail, and have for a while.  I don't know if
SY> that's because the tests are wrong (e.g. due to servlet spec
SY> ambiguities), or if they're meaningful failures.  But they're considered
SY> secondary to Tomcat's tester tests, so we ignore the watchdog test
SY> failures.

SY> Since we ignore failures, and it's becoming a bit of a maintenance pain,
SY> should we drop watchdog from the tomcat release process?  Or should we
SY> tell pmc@jakarta to just leave watchdog as it is since we're using it
SY> still?  (They're considering moving it to the graveyard).

SY> Yoav Shapira
SY> Millennium Research Informatics

SY> This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential
SY> business communication, and may contain information that is
SY> confidential, proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail is
SY> intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and
SY> may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone
SY> else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please
SY> immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and
SY> notify the sender.  Thank you.

SY> For additional commands, e-mail:

for some reason unknown to us we keep getting emails from you??!!

Best regards,

Checked by AGV anti-virus system

     Irish Property News has recently been incorporated into the Irish
     Media 4U Group.

     Accordingly we apologise for any delay you may have experienced
     as a result of this transition.

     Thanks for your enquiry.

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s)
to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of IRISHPROPERTYNEWS.COM / .IE.
Although we operate anti-virus programmes, we do not accept responsibility for any
damage whatsoever that is caused by viruses being passed.  If you are not the intended
recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use
dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message