tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5 CoyoteResponse.java
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 20:47:01 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Thomas" <markt@apache.org>
To: "'Tomcat Developers List'" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2004 11:50 AM
Subject: RE: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5
CoyoteResponse.java

> Fair point - I'll revert it now. Is your objection to the concept of
supporting
> mailto in redirect or just this bad implementation of it? I have seen some
uses
> of this and some users must want to do it or the bug report would never
have
> been filed. I am happy to work on a better implementation.

I don't care one way or the other about supporting mailto in a redirect.

I believe that the check used to be done by testing if a o.a.t.u.net.URL
could be constructed from the 'location', and consider it absolute if it
could be.  A well-formed mailto URI would pass this test.  This one would
also fail something like 'foobar.html?uri=http://myserver/myapp', which
currently passes.  The current code is supposed to be an optimization to
save the time (and garbage) of parsing a URI that just gets thrown away.

I could probably live with 'location.startsWith("mailto:")' (and, even,
"news:" :) as a compromise.