tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Please describe the new Logger System at cvs head.
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:44:42 GMT

> > About logging:
> > - it is a mistake (nowadays) to define custom loggers in applications
> > (JBoss doesn't, and yet it's far more complex); of course, an equally
> > big mistake is to provide "logging" services in the Servlet API ;)
>
> This is only a dream. In a hosting enviroment every customer will
> logging different. We offer own logfiles with the <Logger> configuartion
> in the context.xml.
> This were broken, if your changes are kept.
>
> My greatest problem is the administration of the log4j configuration.
> Where - or better - how can I do this automatically. This question you
> don't answer? Is there a discussion done about this problem?

Well, the discussion of administering the log4j configuration belongs on
log4j-user@logging.apache.org.  However, I'm sure that the Tomcat 5.5 docs
will likely have examples (and, yes, patches are always welcome :).  Either
that, or Ceki is going to be selling a lot of copies of his book ;-).

> Your logger solution is maybe is well solution for a development or
> company-intern-used tomcat installation but the UseCase "Webhosting"
> have been ignored. If I must administrate every customer logger manually
> this is very counterproductively.

Actually, with the JMX support in log4j, I would guess that Remy's changes
will make life much easier for the Webhosting crowd.  If there is interest
(meaning patches :), then the admin webapp could even be extended to help
with the configuration.