tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Watchdog status
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:37:35 GMT
+1 for removing Watchdog from the TC 5 release process (of course, pretty
meaningless, since I'm not the RM ;-).  Its most recent version is for
Servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2, so it can only show the worst regressions in TC 5
anyway.  Since it's entire point is to provide a testing suite for OS
projects before the TCK became available, I can't imagine that there is
going to be much interest in anyone ever wanting to produce a Watchdog for
Servlet 2.4/JSP 2.0.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 8:34 AM
Subject: Watchdog status

Hi,
We've been running the Watchdog (http://jakarta.apache.org/watchdog/)
tests as part of our release process for years now.  However, the
Watchdog project appears dead: one can't join or search mailing lists,
bug reports go unanswered, etc.  I posted a question to jakarta-general
asking for responses from any active watchdog developers or users, and
no one responded as such.

I'm raising this issue for a couple of reasons:
- Using recent versions of Ant (1.6 or later) to build tomcat requires
manual intervention to run the watchdog tests, in that the person
building must copy ant-launcher.jar to the watchdog lib directory.  This
can be fixed easily by fixing watchdog's build.xml (I opened a Bugzilla
item for watchdog for this), or by hacking our build.xml in an ugly
fashion to tweak the Watchdog setup.

- Some Watchdog tests fail, and have for a while.  I don't know if
that's because the tests are wrong (e.g. due to servlet spec
ambiguities), or if they're meaningful failures.  But they're considered
secondary to Tomcat's tester tests, so we ignore the watchdog test
failures.

Since we ignore failures, and it's becoming a bit of a maintenance pain,
should we drop watchdog from the tomcat release process?  Or should we
tell pmc@jakarta to just leave watchdog as it is since we're using it
still?  (They're considering moving it to the graveyard).

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

sender.  Thank you.