tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: RPM spec file using our layout
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 14:00:07 GMT
jean-frederic clere wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> It seem we had one - but was removed 4 years ago, when Henri started
>> it's RPMs ( if I remember corectly ).
>>
>> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-tomcat/src/etc/Attic/tomcat.spec?rev=1.3&view=markup

>> If I update it for 4.x and 5.0 - and manage to get it working on
>> windows with cygwyn's RPM - can we have it included in future releases ?
>>
>> It's using /opt prefix - I can switch to /usr/local ( as apache httpd
>> default ). Preferences ?
>

> I am building a rpm of Tomcat for one of FSC product (OpenIS). It
> installs Tomcat in /opt/SMAWoIS/jakarta-tomcat-${VERSION} and
> /opt/SMAWoIS/jakarta-tomcat or /opt/SMAWoIS/jakarta-tomcat5. It uses
> jsvc (for common-daemon) to start/stop the Tomcat.

I was planning to "build from binaries" (i.e. the binary tgz distro )-
we already have Ant for building tomcat from source, and only want to
generate a binary RPM as close as possible with the official .tgz - up
to the directory name and exact content.

The only addition is creating the tomcat user, permissions, symlinks to
etc, var, usr/bin and init.d. ( does it need logwatch ? tomcat does it's
own rotation ).

Could you send me your .spec ? I'm looking at the jpackage one ( really
complex, Henri and jpackage people are amazing maintaining such a beast
! ), I want to use same permissions if possible.

I don't think /opt/SMAWoIS is good for us, but if it follows the same
layout with the distribution you can make a symlink, and any add-on RPM
would work.

Is there a rule for the intermediate directory (
/opt/ASF/jakarta-tomca-5.0.25 instead of /opt/jakarta... ) ?

>> I also found "epm" - a tool that generates RPM, DEB, BSD, slackware,
>> solaris, aix,...  packages from a single spec. Is it worth looking
>> into this ? (www.easysw.com)
>

> Probably not. It is possible to convert a RPM to a DEB.

I know - it is possible to also generate a DEP using only Ant and tar/ar
commands. But epm will also generate binary packages for macosx,
solaris, etc. Maybe some other time :-)

Costin