tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fedora "tomcat"
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 19:38:53 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

>> Finally - am I overreacting, are other people seeing this as a real
>> issue, or should we just ignore the problem like apache does ?
>

> I would answer no, as the stability issue is a big problem (the HTTPd
> doesn't have that issue; why is the worst left to us ? :/). The
> directory layout is a less critical issue.
> (we can't do the last point: the license allows basically anything)

I disagree - there are a lot of things we can do:
- warn the users on web, readme, release notes, startup messages
- provide RPMs with the right layout, or at least define what it should
be ( right now this is left completely undefined )

The layout on linux is going to become a critical issue when more
distributions start including tomcat, each in its own form. Or when
users of fedora start using the bundled tomcat and nobody will know
where the files should be placed. Remember all the issues with the
xerces versions and endorsed dirs.

Ignoring the problem  (like most OS apps do) is not going to solve it,
anyone who has used more than 1 linux variant can confirm this.

Costin