tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fedora "tomcat"
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 16:00:45 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>Finally - am I overreacting, are other people seeing this as a real
>>issue, or should we just ignore the problem like apache does ?
>

> At the moment, I tend to think yes (we should ignore this problem),
> because: we make the same assumptions as httpd regarding the technical
> literacy / competency of our users base; which means, if someone is not
> following our recommended/default layout ($CATALINA_HOME/conf, /webapps,
> etc) then they know what they're doing; and I don't want to support two
> sets of typical layouts unless we really have to.  We have a large group
> who know how to support people using the typical/recommended layout, and
> I hate to throw confusion into that mix.  So let's carefully assess the
> magnitude of this before we start modifying our documentation and
> recommendations.

Well, I fully agree with you - my preference is also to stick with the
current layout and provide an RPM that uses this layout.

Both you and Henri suggested Jpackage - which uses the FHS layout I
described ( i.e. config under /etc - aribrary subdir is ok, etc ).
Distros like Debian and Redhat have a policy to include packages in FHS
- of course each uses different layouts, but it's something under /etc,
/var/log, etc.

Unfortunately new users ( typically those who will use the bundled
tomcat ) don't have the "literacy"  - and will not have the docs and
manuals either, since all our docs are using our layout. This will
result in a pretty bad experience ( for example - I spent about 15 min
to restart tomcat - it seems after a crash you have to manually remove a
lock file, stop/start will not do it - so I had to look at their startup
script ).

Yes, it would be great if we could tell "we only support this layout, if
  you use anything else - please don't contact us". But if we do that -
we should also include a RPM with this layout ( since we do it for
windows - why not for linux ? )

Costin