tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fedora "tomcat"
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 15:42:19 GMT
I'm fine with using jpackage as the "official" or recommended binary
distribution for RPM-based distributions. This solves part of the problem.

To make sure everyone understand, this will mean we support the
following layout for FHS-based linux systems, in addition to our
typical layout:
- config files in /etc/tomcat5/
- logs in /var/log/tomcat5
- workdir and tempdir in /var/cache/tomcat5/[temp/work]
- webapps will be deployed on /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps
- lib dirs under /var/lib/tomcat5/[commons/shared/server]
- homedir and bin under {datadir}/tomcat5 ( not sure what datadir is,
Henri ? )
- only tomcat files included, all other .jars will come from separate
- dependent RPMs you need to install: ....  ( there seem to be 10+ )
I am still unable to get jpackage installed via apt on fedora2 ( 6
dependent "not installable" ) - if I get it working I'll post the exact
paths and dependencies.

This will be in addition to the normal layout most documentations and
books typically assume:
- webapps in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps
- config in $CATALINA_HOME/conf
- longs in ../logs
- a script called "catalina.sh" that takes the CATALINA_HOME env and
does a number of actions in certain way
- ...

Should I make a proposal to make those 2 layouts "official" ? Is it ok
if we recommend the second layout to be used whenever possible - i.e. in
non-FHS-limited distributions ? Do we want to also define a default base
  dir - like /usr/local/tomcat5 or /opt/tomcat5 ( similar for 4 ) ?

I can write a .spec file to create a RPM in the second layout - and I'm
pretty sure I can integrate the building of the RPMs in the build.xml (
cygwin can be used on windows to generate RPMs AFAIK - I need to try )
My preference will be to at least include the second "full tomcat/easy
to install/same layout as on other OSes" non-FHS RPM in the release,
even if you don't agree to make it the default/recommended one.

The main benefit is that people can then easily write scripts and
install files ( RPM, etc ) to easily deploy webapps or extensions, and
support will be much easier. At least they would have to maintain only 2
versions of their packages instead of one for each linux distro.

The second big question is what do we do to promote this layout and
prevent fragmentation. Options:
- include some text in the release notes or on the web page
- add a piece of code that checks at runtime and display a strong
warning that people shouldn't use that package ( or shouldn't contact
tomcat for problems ). If someone removes this - it will become a
derivative work, so maybe we can use something in license.
- place "don't use" links to RPMs/distros using non-standard layouts ?
- add some Sun-like rules - pass the unit tests and basic load tests,
don't remove things, use one of the recommended layouts - in order to
list the distro as "compatible" ?

Finally - am I overreacting, are other people seeing this as a real
issue, or should we just ignore the problem like apache does ?

Costin