tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Fedora "tomcat"
Date Sun, 16 May 2004 15:23:37 GMT
Hi,

I don't know if you saw it, but Fedora ( the free Redhat distro )
includes now tomcat-4.1.27. I think this is a big problem and we should
be aware of it - the "tomcat" they distribute uses the worst layout,
doesn't start like any other tomcat, it seem to run out of file
descriptors about 900 requests - the list can go on.

They are using GCJ and native compilation - a very good thing IMO,
however I think users will be very confused if they would use their
"tomcat" and assume the real tomcat is as bad. Many people just use
whatever is conveninetly included in a distribution, and few understand
the distinction.

I don't know if you want to do something about it - Henri used to
maintain RPMs for tomcat, maybe we should include links to them or the
rpms themself in the distributions ( if you want tomcat RPM, please use
this and not the hacked one in distributions ). The benefit will be that
if a linux user has questions or problems - someone could tell them
"look in $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/..." instead of "try to find where is the
configuration file in your variation of tomcat".

Opinions ? I'm beginning to understand Sun's position on Java
redistribution and open source ....

Costin