tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Next release
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 14:43:32 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Shapira, Yoav wrote:
>
>> One area to keep in mind there is performance.  There's no argument on
>> the utility of JMX at all.  I also think most of the performance hit
>> would be at initialization (and shutdown), as you're
>> creating/naming/binding JMX operations/attributes.  This is better than
>> having a performance hit in the request processing pipeline, so we're
>> OK, but it's nonetheless something to keep in mind as we're adding JMX
>> instrumentation all over the place.
>

> AFAIK, the performance hit would be minimal (JBoss runs ok to me, so JMX
> seems fast enough overall). It's an issue of cleaning the code, so it's
> not useful by itself. I think Costin wanted to do that migration to full
> JMX (we're a bit too much middle ground, and all those listener
> interfaces are definitely not trendy these days ;) ).

For the critical path probably it's good to keep using an interface, but
for all "container changes" and other notification - there is no
performance issue.

I don't know if anyone has read the Eclipse design and code - it has
some very interesting ideas with the "extension points" and osgi.

If you are going to touch the architecture - one thing I allways hated
was using the same path ( "extension point" ) for all request
processing. That was one of my fundamental problems with the valves.
Keep the valves if you like them - but have separate chains for
authentication, authorization, logging, etc. It not only cleans the
code, but it also opens stuff for reuse.

Costin