tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Fedora "tomcat"
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 16:10:51 GMT

Hola,

>Well, I fully agree with you - my preference is also to stick with the
>current layout and provide an RPM that uses this layout.
>
>Both you and Henri suggested Jpackage - which uses the FHS layout I
>described ( i.e. config under /etc - aribrary subdir is ok, etc ).
>Distros like Debian and Redhat have a policy to include packages in FHS
>- of course each uses different layouts, but it's something under /etc,
>/var/log, etc.

Do we have an option of getting JPackage to do RPMs according to our
layout?

>result in a pretty bad experience ( for example - I spent about 15 min
>to restart tomcat - it seems after a crash you have to manually remove
>lock file, stop/start will not do it - so I had to look at their
startup
>script ).

If it takes YOU 15 minutes to do it, we're in serious trouble when it
comes to supporting less savvy users ;(

>Yes, it would be great if we could tell "we only support this layout,
if
>  you use anything else - please don't contact us". But if we do that -
>we should also include a RPM with this layout ( since we do it for
>windows - why not for linux ? )

So I guess we have to follow the plan you outlined previously, which
involves updating our documentation to include the FHS layout option?

Yoav