tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Fedora "tomcat"
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 19:59:22 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Costin Manolache" <cmanolache@yahoo.com>
To: <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: Fedora "tomcat"

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
> >>
> >> Finally - am I overreacting, are other people seeing this as a real
> >> issue, or should we just ignore the problem like apache does ?

Apache HTTPd doesn't ignore the problem:  When I type
'./configure --layout=RedHat' it compiles everything nicely configured into
the proper location :-).

> > I would answer no, as the stability issue is a big problem (the HTTPd
> > doesn't have that issue; why is the worst left to us ? :/). The
> > directory layout is a less critical issue.
> > (we can't do the last point: the license allows basically anything)
>
> I disagree - there are a lot of things we can do:
> - warn the users on web, readme, release notes, startup messages
> - provide RPMs with the right layout, or at least define what it should
> be ( right now this is left completely undefined )

Thank you for volunteering to maintain the RPMs :).  Prior to jPackage,
Henri was pretty much the only person interested in doing the work to
maintain these.  After he moved his time to jPackage, the result was that I
WONTFIXed a bunch of RPM related bugs for the 3.3.2 release.