tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Gomez <hgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TC evolment
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 06:31:47 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> If you're worried about risk, then probably glueing PHP with tomcat
>> will be a bad choice.
>>
>> Tomcat is limited by Java's bad support for integration with native
>> code. Apache will have no problem running Php, perl, python, .net or
>> integrating with any native library that exists today. For tomcat
>> running openSSL seems to be a big thing, and we know too well how
>> difficult it is to get it working with JNI.
>>
>> For tomcat - you can attempt to rewrite/replace every feature in Java
>> ( we are doing this for LDAP auth for example - not sure if JNDI is
>> better or faster than the native ldap auth in apache ). Or you can try
>> to use JNI or connectors - like mod_jk. Or you can just use what
>> already works and is stable, and do something better with your time :-)
>

> We'll see the result when it's done :) If Mladen wants to try it because
> he feels like he has a need for it, it's fine by me.
>
>>> And there is the maintainability, scalability, etc. which I think
>>> Java is
>>> better at.

Well I made some benchmarks on TC 3.3.2, TC 4.1.30, TC 5.0.19, Apache 2,
mod_php 4.3.5 and mod_php 5.0RC1 this week-end and you could see that to
serve the good old HelloWorld (or its html/php counter part), Java is
allways faster.

This 'bench' has been conducted on a Pentium 4 with 512Mo RAM
, Windows XP and Sun SDK 1.4.2-04.

I used each time the default server configurations.

Regards