tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TC evolment
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2004 09:47:14 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> If you're worried about risk, then probably glueing PHP with tomcat will
> be a bad choice.
>
> Tomcat is limited by Java's bad support for integration with native
> code. Apache will have no problem running Php, perl, python, .net or
> integrating with any native library that exists today. For tomcat
> running openSSL seems to be a big thing, and we know too well how
> difficult it is to get it working with JNI.
>
> For tomcat - you can attempt to rewrite/replace every feature in Java (
> we are doing this for LDAP auth for example - not sure if JNDI is better
> or faster than the native ldap auth in apache ). Or you can try to use
> JNI or connectors - like mod_jk. Or you can just use what already works
> and is stable, and do something better with your time :-)

We'll see the result when it's done :) If Mladen wants to try it because
he feels like he has a need for it, it's fine by me.

>> And there is the maintainability, scalability, etc. which I think Java is
>> better at.
>
> Java may be more maintainable - but in this particular case do you think
>  PHP + JNI/connector + tomcat would be more maintainable than the
> existing and well tested Apache + mod_php  ?

Well, it doesn't seem that PHP + Apache 2 is that well tested either ;)

In the end, the JSR from Zend and others shows this may not be a bad
direction. Obviously, mod_jk and similar technologies need to exist for
integration purposes, or any setup where Java isn't the main technology
used.

Rémy