tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: TC evolment
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2004 07:14:02 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:

> [...]

The webserver is not only for static content. If you use Apache just
because it serves the static content faster than tomcat - you are using
it for the wrong reason.

A lot of people use Apache because they feel it's more stable and secure.
Other use it because of the hundreds of modules - like mod_php,
mod_perl, etc. Yes, you could make mod_php work with tomcat - or you
could even rewrite the entire php in java. And nobody can stop you from
doing this if you have the time and itch.
But if you just want to use PHP instead of JSP - you may be better just
  doing it with the existing stable solution, which is Apache.

The raw page speed is not everything. There is also the memory use, CPU
load, startup time, stability, etc.

Costin