tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TC evolment
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 09:50:06 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:

> Mladen Turk wrote:

<wistful-smile>
And to think it was only a couple of years ago that I got thorougly
chastised (by more than a few people participating in this thread :-)
for suggesting that Tomcat standalone might actually be a viable
production solution for some applications.
</wistful-smile>

The recent improvements in the perfornance of Tomcat standalone (with
refactorings like the Coyote connector, plus other optimizations in the
Catalina core) have definitely widened the scope of applications where
Tomcat standalone is "good enough" ... but it always has been for any
departmental app with a limited user population (which is a
many-orders-of-magnitude number of real live apps).  I'm glad to see
that the "Tomcat isn't worthy of standalone status, it needs to be
hidden behind a *real* web server" crowd are finally coming to
understand that there is a substantial number of use cases where Tomcat
standalone is a perfectly reasonable solution.

Or, if you'd prefer it in a sound bite ... "fast enough is fast
enough".  If Tomcat standalone meets your performance requirements, you
have my blessing if you choose to avoid the pain of learning how to
configure it to integrate with Apache's HTTPD server :-).

Craig McClanahan