tomcat-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From bugzi...@apache.org
Subject DO NOT REPLY [Bug 28219] New: - Dolar sign in password of JNDI-Datasource disappears
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2004 01:00:45 GMT
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL, BUT PLEASE POST YOUR BUG 
RELATED COMMENTS THROUGH THE WEB INTERFACE AVAILABLE AT
<http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=28219>.
ANY REPLY MADE TO THIS MESSAGE WILL NOT BE COLLECTED AND 
INSERTED IN THE BUG DATABASE.

http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=28219

Dolar sign in password of JNDI-Datasource disappears

           Summary: Dolar sign in password of JNDI-Datasource disappears
           Product: Tomcat 5
           Version: 5.0.19
          Platform: PC
        OS/Version: Windows XP
            Status: NEW
          Severity: Minor
          Priority: Other
         Component: Catalina
        AssignedTo: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
        ReportedBy: gruber@dbai.tuwien.ac.at


In my server.xml I defined a JNDI datasource as described in the Tomcat docs,
but I couldn't connect to the database and I always got the exception "Cannot
create PoolableConnectionFactory". After a few hours of investigation I found
out that the Database Connection Pool (DBCP) didn't get the right password,
because the dolar sign of the password disappeared. So the password a$a$a of the
configuration file server.xml changed to aaa in the DataSource.
Below the configuration of server.xml (it requires the mysql connector package):

<Resource name="jdbc/foo" scope="Shareable" type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
<ResourceParams name="jdbc/foo">
  <parameter>
    <name>factory</name>
    <value>org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory</value>
  </parameter>

  <!-- DBCP database connection settings -->
  <parameter>
    <name>url</name>
    <value>jdbc:mysql://localhost/bar?autoReconnect=true</value>
  </parameter>
  <parameter>
    <name>driverClassName</name>
    <value>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</value>
  </parameter>
  <parameter>
    <name>username</name>
    <value>root</value>
  </parameter>
  <parameter>
    <name>password</name>
    <value>a$a$a</value>
  </parameter>

  <!-- and a few other parameters as described in the JNDI Datasource howto -->
</ResourceParams>

And the jsp file to test it:

<%@ page import="javax.naming.*" %>
<%@ page import="javax.sql.*" %>
<%@ page import="java.sql.*" %>
<%@ page import="org.apache.commons.dbcp.*" %>
<%
try
{
  Context ctx = new InitialContext();
  if (ctx == null ) throw new Exception("Boom - No Context");

  DataSource ds = (DataSource)ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/foo");

  if (ds != null)
  {
    BasicDataSource bds = (BasicDataSource)ds;
    out.println(bds.getUsername());
    out.println(bds.getPassword()); // gives aaa instead of a$a$a
    out.println(bds.getUrl());
    out.println(bds.getDriverClassName());
  }
  else { out.print("No DataSource"); }
}
catch (SQLNestedException ee)
{
  StackTraceElement b[] = ee.getStackTrace();
  out.print(ee.getMessage() + " in method " + b[0].getMethodName() + " in file "
+ b[0].getFileName() + " line " + String.valueOf(b[0].getLineNumber()));
}
catch(Exception e)
{ out.print(e.getMessage()); }
%>

I did a short test if this behavoir occurs also with other parameters (ex
username) and the same error appeared, so maybe the whole deployment descriptor
is affected

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message