tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm RealmBase.java
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:14:08 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <luehe@apache.org>
To: <jakarta-tomcat-catalina-cvs@apache.org>
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 1:42 PM
Subject: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm
RealmBase.java

> luehe       2004/04/19 13:42:01
>
>   Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm RealmBase.java
>   Log:
>   Exempt welcome pages from any security-constraint checks.
>
>   The Servlet 2.4 spec does not require this (and there are no CTS tests
>   for this), but it seems like a reasonable enhancement. I was told that
>   the upcoming maintenance release of the Servlet spec is going to
>   clarify this.
>
>   If this change is controversial, I'll back it out for the time being,
>   until it is backed by the Servlet spec. Please let me know.

I second Remy's -1.  The patch only exempts only the top level welcome file
(e.g. /myapp/index.jsp), and so is meaningful mostly in the case where you
have a security constraint mapped to '/*'.  In this case, you can easily add
a security-constraint with an exact pattern '/index.jsp' if you need the
functionality.

Also, if the welcome file includes links to images or stylesheets, then it
is likely that you will have to setup even more complex security-constraints
to allow it to display.  If the spec eventually mandates it, then we'll have
to do it.  Until then it breaks more things than it fixes, IMHO.