tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Knauf <efl...@gmx.net>
Subject RE: jk2 buglets
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:53:50 GMT
Hi,

>> > Also, we adopted the APR as mandatory, so, all platform
>> specific code
>> > except JNI has to go out (sooner or later).
>> sure, I know - but you cant expect that every APR also
>> supports SHM/MMAP; so cant we take only those things which
>> are common to all platforms?

> Does it work in APR from CVS?
no.

> If not then it's a bug in APR.
no.

> If it's a APR bug are there any patches that we can propose?
no.
The problem is the NetWare OS self. We had formerly no SHM support at all on NetWare, and
since about a year we got mmap() silently, but with EXPERIMENTAL status. Since we ship recent
NetWare versions with Apache (1.3 with NW6 and 2.0 with NW6.5) I cant introduce another Apache
with experimental stuff in it - instead I have to rely on what's officially released - NW
admins are just used to fetch a binary and drop it in, they have no plan of recompiling Apache,
nor they are able to do even if they would like since NetWare doesnt ship with a compiler
at all.

> The netware, and windows doesn't need shm at all.
that's not true from APR sight: if I look into apr.h for NetWare I have not one define for
SHM, but looking at apr.h from Win32 platform I can see:
#define APR_HAS_SHARED_MEMORY     1
#define APR_HAS_MMAP              1

> The final solution would be adding jk2_shm_xxxx (for specific platform),
> inside commons/arch.
> I'm not in favor of using #defines to solve that.
+1.

> If the number of needed platform specific workarounds is too high, then we
> made a mistake switching to APR, but I doubt.
no, the switch is OK, but it was probably only too early to make it mandatory.
I would have left the old code in; it was known to work, and didnt bite someone; and at least
for Apache 1.3 I'm not happy with the change to APR. If I had choosen to make APR mandatory
I also would have dropped Apache 1.3 support at all from mod_jk2.

> Let's make and test, and then we'll see how to solve the particular
> problem for a XXX.XXX platform.
what we all need is time - those working at APR, as well as the OS core folks - I'm sure all
these things will be fixed sooner or later, but unless Apache 2.x gets widely accepted there
will not be so much pressure to fix those things I feel....
I'm next month at Novell and will certainly discuss this issue with the core OS team - after
that I hope I have an idea if we get mmap() and friends exported by the OS officially, and
how long it may take.
I really would like to have APR_HAS_MMAP on NetWare since a couple of other interesting modules
rely on it;
and be sure that I bother them at Novell enough with this.

Guenter.