tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: [OT] unsubscribe stupid users with auto-replies
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 17:18:02 GMT

Hi,

>Don't know if that would solve the amount of fake list subscription,
but
>perhaps the mechanism like one on bugzilla (for creating accounts)
would
>help.
>I know it would require lot of work to implement that, but IMO it will
stop
>the auto subscribe programs.

It will stop the auto-subscribe programs, but at too great an
infrastructure cost I think.  Anyways, it's not my call: you can send an
email to infrastructure@apache.org or general@apache.org, I'm not sure
which is more appropriate, with this idea to see what they'd say.

>The other solution would be to make a 'black-list' for certain
subscribers.
>Take a look for a radgametools.com for example. Seems they have auto
>subscriber, so who will loose the temper you or a computer program?
>For such users we can make a 'black-list' that will need list moderator
>subscribe approval, if the program tries to subscribe again once moved
>'black-list'.
>In such cases you (as a list moderator) will be able to exchange few
emails
>making sure that the subscriber understands the rules implied.

Yup, and ezmlm supports this via a deny list functionality.  However,
this feature is not available to list moderators such as myself under
the current setup and must be requested from the general mail
administrator.

Yoav Shapira