tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5's service.bat, etc.
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:40:44 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jess Holle" <jessh@ptc.com>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 11:18 AM
Subject: Tomcat 5's service.bat, etc.

> The service.bat and tomcat.exe in Tomcat 5 have a number of issues as I
> see it:
>
>    1. The new tomcat.exe (aka procrun) does not seem to reliably route
>       stdout and stderr to the specified files.
>           * Compare JavaService (aka Tomcat 4.1.x's tomcat.exe) stdout
>             and stderr treatment to procrun's.  JavaService captures all
>             the startup stdout as well as System.out.println's, etc.
>             procrun does not.

Procrun works fine with --Java=java.  Yes, it needs work
for --Java=c:\path\to\jvm.dll (known issue, with outstanding BZ entry :).

>    2. Tomcat 5 does not include any documentation on how to use procrun
>       (or even that tomcat.exe is procrun).
>    3. I have not managed to get procrun to target the "server" JVM (as
>       opposed to the client) in any reliable fashion.
>           * With JavaService this was achieved by targeting the
>             appropriate jvm.dll.  The procrun docs say the same thing is
>             possible, but this does not work.

This works fine for me with either --Java=java -JavaOptions=-server#... or
with --Java=c:\path\to\server\jvm.dll.

>    4. service.bat does not route as many arguments to procrun as what I
>       for one route to JavaService -- and thus it provides less
>       flexibility (especially with no documentation).
>           * For JavaService I provide heap sizing, etc, parameters, as
>             this is critical to any real use of Tomcat.
>           * Having built in support for passing JPDA debug args to the
>             JVM is also a must.

So edit the service.bat file :).  As usual, patches are always welcome ;-).

>    5. service.bat does not provide any default handling of tools.jar.
>           * By default the resulting service can't compile JSP pages.
>
> Overall, service.bat and procrun feel like they're not ready for
> production use -- which is fine as long as that's understood by the user
> community.
>
> Personally, JavaService and an Ant script to produce the right
> (enormous) command line for seem to do the trick nicely -- with Tomcat
> 4.1.x and 5.0.x.

Whatever makes you happy ;-).