tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Mod_Jk2 - Default Worker
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:03:55 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:

> Well, if we didn't get the POST somewhere on the WebServer, and if the
> tomcat failed to respond, we couldn't resent the whole POST to the
> second one.

If we get the first bytes ( but not the entire POST ), we can still save
them, and if the first tomcat fails - resend it.
When a tomcat responds - it can ask for more bytes.

If a tomcat is failing in the middle of the processing - it's better to
report the error and not try to recover.

> The strategy will be to keep, say up to 32kb on Apache pools, and if the
> POST is larger save it to filesystem.

I'm not sure I understand the problem with saving only the first part of
the POST data. The request that is sent to tomcat only includes those
bytes anyway - tomcat has to ask for more.

The problem is that getting the entier body changes the processing model
for POST fundamentally - the entire streaming is gone, servlets that may
reject the POST ( because the size is too big for example ) will still
have the entier body downloaded, etc.

Are you sure this is absolutely needed ?

Costin