tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Jakarta Collections 3.0?
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 07:04:04 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> If I remember correctly ( and if it didn't change ), tomcat needs
>> modeler in a parent classloader. Modeler has an optional dependency on
>> digester, which depends on beanutils and collections. They both depend
>> on logging, and modeler also depends on jmx.
>>
>> So unless some classloader trick is used - we have to have collections
>> in the parent loader - which forces the entire tomcat instalation to
>> use the same collection version ( unless reverse loader tricks are
>> used ).
>> That implies that if tomcat upgrades to collections3.0 - all webapps
>> that use collections2.0 may stop working.
>

> Why ? I don't understand. Tomcat will override anything except the
> system classloader.

You mean the classes in the common loader get overriden by the reverse
loader ? Does it work if some classes are loaded with a loader ( for
example some from the old package ) and some are loaded with the other
loader ? I mean, can we force a loader for a particular package -
blocking delegation completely ( even for classes that are not found ) ?

>> Even more interesting - we don't actually have this choice - since if
>> digester changes to the new collections, we're forced to do the same :-)
>>
>> What if we use modeler without digester ? Are there other components
>> that depend on digester + collections ? At least for emebed this would
>> be a good solution ( it won't reduce the size too much, but it may
>> reduce the dependency impact it has when it's embeded - since whatever
>> app it is emebeded into will be forced to update collections and all
>> packages that depend on it - or do classloader tricks )
>

> The startup code depends on digester :-( The web.xml parsing depends on
> digester. Etc, etc :-(

I think some of it can be done in a separate loader ( I tried it at some
time ), at least loading the web.xml part. For the startup code - I
don't know ( but it could use ant or jmx ).

I guess a lot has changed since I last looked, but packages like
collections 3 in the top class loader makes me pretty uncomfortable.

( the real problem will be for apps that embed tomcat, when digester or
other components will start using collection3 - forcing tomcat too ).

Costin