tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Jakarta Collections 3.0?
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2004 16:48:46 GMT
If I remember correctly ( and if it didn't change ), tomcat needs
modeler in a parent classloader. Modeler has an optional dependency on
digester, which depends on beanutils and collections. They both depend
on logging, and modeler also depends on jmx.

So unless some classloader trick is used - we have to have collections
in the parent loader - which forces the entire tomcat instalation to use
the same collection version ( unless reverse loader tricks are used ).
That implies that if tomcat upgrades to collections3.0 - all webapps
that use collections2.0 may stop working.

Even more interesting - we don't actually have this choice - since if
digester changes to the new collections, we're forced to do the same :-)

What if we use modeler without digester ? Are there other components
that depend on digester + collections ? At least for emebed this would
be a good solution ( it won't reduce the size too much, but it may
reduce the dependency impact it has when it's embeded - since whatever
app it is emebeded into will be forced to update collections and all
packages that depend on it - or do classloader tricks )

Costin