tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Thrys√łe <...@conscius.com>
Subject Embedding part of Tomcat within a J2EE webapp?
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:55:16 GMT
Hi,

I am currently researching a way to implement web-container-like
functionality within a J2EE compliant webapp, that can run on
theoretically any servlet container.

One way to do this, would be to embed parts of tomcat such that a number
of self-managed web applications could be served through the servlet
container already sourrounding the controlling webapp.

This would include instantiating a Context (perhaps instantiating a
StandardContext would do the trick?) and have this serve servlets, jsp,
etc. from sources defined by the code instantiating the context.

My question is this: Is it possible, and feasable, to instantiate a
tomcat representation of a context, and have it serve servlets, compile
and serve JSPs, etc.? This should work as continued processing for the
existing HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse and HttpSession. The
Context in question should function as a partial decoration of the
existing Context.

Is it possible to implement a 'provider' for the DefaultServlet and
JspServlet, such that the filesystem/webapp archive can be replaced with
arbitary sources?

I'm not aware of the detailed differences between Tomcat 4.1 and 5.0,
but either could be used.

Any input appreciated.

-dennis