tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Reshat Sabiq <sa...@purdue.edu>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-nioserver/
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 04:23:54 GMT

Peter Lin wrote:

>I'm inclined to wait until JCP comes up with a good way to migrate/support non-blocking
approach within a servlet container. Event driven technique isn't new by any measure and has
been proven to scale well. But most cases actually do not require the added complexity. Unless
an application has to support a large number of concurrent requests/users in the 5K+ range,
it's usually not cost effective.

>take SEDA for example, it breaks request processing into stages, so that each stage is
profiled. If a request is for the same resource, the queue handler can by-pass the database
call and just return the result. If you read Matt's paper on SEDA, you'll see the design goal
was to handle /. like effect where a large number of users are requesting the same resource.
The approach is powerful, but it would be difficult for someone with only ASP and CGI experience.
Ideally, an API that hides the complexity of call-backs, thread sync and gives the appearance
of single threaded processing would make it easier to develop and debug. For the last year
I've been working on projects that have to support major scalability. Educating the other
developers about async processing has been sufficiently difficult and a headache. My biased
perspective :)

>peter lin

Yes, if it's really worth the trouble, then perhaps this could be an
option for behind-the-scene implementation, w/o changing the existing
API. If this is at all worthwhile, in the ideal scenario, the container
could toggle its mode from "thread-per-user", to NIO, to what SEDA does,
depending on load, and some optional config settings.
But i still don't know if NIO is just an equivalent of a fancy way of
playing w/ max threads. :)

>Reshat Sabiq <sabiq@purdue.edu> wrote:
>

>What would this benchmark look like if Tomcat also was configured to use a max of x threads,
just like sse? If the difference was negligible/none, then IMHO NIO effect is no different
than playing with max threads value. However, if there was still a considerable difference
for heavy loads, i would be inclined to changing the API to make it compatible w/ both, so
that the container could toggle between using IO and NIO based on a config, load, etc.
>My undeserved 2 cents. :)

you see my certificate with this message, you should be able to send me encrypted e-mail.
Please consult your e-mail client for details if you would like to do that.