tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-jasper/jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler Generator.java
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:17:29 GMT
Kin-Man Chung wrote:
> Agreed that the spec can be clearer.  :-)
>
> This has been discussed by the Spec expert group, and bullet .2 was added
> because some vendors wanted it.  I'll check with the spec lead for a
> clarification.

Ok.

> Also agreed that this breaks backward compatibility; but it not really too
> bad.  I think a lot of users would rather have the error at compilation
> time than at runtime.  What can you do with an instantiation error at
> runtime?

Nothing, but some don't care: they never intended their page to be
called without the right attribute in the right scope, so the case where
their "JavaBean" is instantiated never happens.

> If we are really concern about BC, then we can add another compilation
> option to revert to old behavior.  I really don't like another switch, but
> if it'll make people happy...

No new switch, please ;) So we have to decide one or the other.
So do you want me to revert the patch ?

Rémy