tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Kin-Man Chung <Kin-Man.Ch...@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-jasper/jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler Generator.java
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:55:51 GMT
Agreed that the spec can be clearer.  :-)

This has been discussed by the Spec expert group, and bullet .2 was added
because some vendors wanted it.  I'll check with the spec lead for a
clarification.

Also agreed that this breaks backward compatibility; but it not really too
bad.  I think a lot of users would rather have the error at compilation
time than at runtime.  What can you do with an instantiation error at
runtime?

If we are really concern about BC, then we can add another compilation
option to revert to old behavior.  I really don't like another switch, but
if it'll make people happy...

-Kin-man

> Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:41:54 +0100
> From: Remy Maucherat <remm@apache.org>
> Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-jasper/jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler
Generator.java