tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject [VOTE] Release the HEAD of j-t as Tomcat 3.3.2
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:42:27 GMT
The (modified) text of the proposal is below.  The [VOTE] runs until
Thursday, Feb 19 6:00 PM PDT.

<ballot>
[ ] +1 I agree with this release and will support it.
[ ] +0 I agree with this release, but can't support it.
[ ] -0  I disagree with this release, but won't block it.
[ ] -1  I don't think this release should happen because:
</ballot>

It has been a long time since the 3.3.1 release, and there are several
important bug fixes in the CVS.  Therefore, I'm proposing cutting a 3.3.2
release with myself and Larry as co-RMs (mostly since Larry has volunteered
to do so much work on this :).

Time Line:
  If the [VOTE] passes with 3 PMC +1s and no -1s and the enhancements below
are
complete (with the possible exception of licensing), then we cut a 3.3.2-RC1
release.  I don't see that it is likely that we have any major regressions,
so I don't see the need for a Beta.  I propose to leave RC1 out for two
weeks until Friday, Mar 5 (March 4th isn't good for me).  At that point we
cut a 3.3.2 release.

Packaging Changes:
  I propose that we no longer ship src/native with the src distro.  Also, we
will remove src/native/mod_jk from the CVS.  I'd also like to include the
commons-daemon
procrun/w and jsvc (source) with the release, similar to TC 5.  Also I'd
like to make the CoyoteConnector2 (possible renamed to CoyoteConnector :)
the default connector in server.xml.  We can add a note to use the old
Connectors for people that can't use Java2.

Code Changes:
1)  I'd like to add a blocking option to o.a.t.startup.Main (e.g. 'startb')
so that 3.3 can be used with procrun.  Also make sure that the
init/start/stop/destroy semantics are there for jsvc.
2)  Add fix for Bug #8643 (allow to specify alternate module.xml files)
3)  Port the requestURI encoding fixes for TC 4/5 (although, I believe that
this is on DecodeInterceptor, instead of the Connector).
4)  Update license to Apache-2.0 (non-negotiable, with a March release date
:).

Bugs:
  Several of the LATER bugs have been already fixed, so mark them as such.
Of
the remaining 18 open bugs, they will be marked as one of
INVALID/FIXED/WORKSFORME/LATER.

Administration:
  Future releases of TC 3.3 will be governed by the TC 4/5
release-then-vote-on-status model.  It is likely that future releases are
going to be just security-related, so streamlining is good :).