tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Jk2 object model
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 07:10:47 GMT
jean-frederic clere wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> I remember some time ago Mladen (?) was suggesting to use C++ for jk2
>> instead of the pseudo-OO programming.
>

> I am -1 for using C++... And wondering why you want to use C++.

I don't actually want to use C++ - I'm just a bit unhappy with the
"reinventing the wheel" object model in jk2, and I was wondering if
any alternatives have been discussed.

I was looking over the code, and while I still remember some of it :-) I
can't stop wondering if it's the best choice. It is an improvement over
jk, at least from a java - OO perspective, and I don't remember any
other valid option  at that time ( Mozilla XPCOM, glib, C++ and open
office OO model each had issues ). C++ or COM-style query interface are
a bit more "standard", and it may be nice if jk2 would be able to
integrate with a wider set of applications ( and using the same object
model helps ).

Right now "integration" is probably the thing I'm most interested in -
i.e. communication between different applications and components. Jk2 is
of course pretty specialized to web-like applications - however a lot of
things can interoperate using this http request/response model ( "web
services" ? ). So I was wondering if jk2 or something similar could be
used as a connector into apps like mozilla or evolution ( or any other
desktop app ) and allow access to the services and info inside.

Costin