tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik" <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Memory leak- yeah I know
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:49:00 GMT
Ok, I know that these emails are usually dismissed with the words:
"Gets us some proof from a profiler", and I will...gimme some time, in the
meanwhile, if anyone else wants to play with it.

well the story is that during heavy load tests of the session replication my
system my VMs always run out of memory.
What am I doing different than others, well, during my load tests I am not
using keep alive connections to achieve true round robin. I'm doing this by
setting method.setHttp11(false) in the Http client.

Running the test (attached, instructions below) I am hitting
http://localhost:8080/index.jsp (home page) and watching the memory grow and
grow and grow.

I am using a profiler and having somewhat of a hard time reading the output.
I am gonna download a trial of jprobe, see how that works out for me... I
will be back with results from that.

in the meantime, for those who want to see their memory grow here are the
instructions

My env:
Machine: PIII 1.6Ghz, 512MB Ram
OS: Redhat 8
VM: Sun JDK 1.4.2_02 (build 1.4.2_02-b03)

Instructions:
download the attached client.jar

execute:
java -cp testclient.jar;commons-httpclient.jar;commons-logging.jar
org.apache.catalina.cluster.test.client.MemTestClient http
://192.168.0.103:7080/index.jsp 100 100000 1000 false (exchange ; for : on
unix)

Watching the memory grow using Top, although it shouldn't increase at all.

Filip