tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From G√ľnter Knauf <>
Subject RE: Internal document anchors ?
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:24:21 GMT
>>Noticed this morning that in at least one Tomcat document:
>>some internal document anchors <a name="xxxx ?"> end with a question
> mark,
>>which means any link to them will fail due to the question mark being
>>dropped by the server. I use IE6sp1 and the links to some parts of the
>>document are now broken for me.
>>Perhaps someone can attend?

> I think it's a bit more subtle: space followed by question mark doesn't
> work.  A question mark preceded by a letter does work.  That's why the
> "Are there alternative ways" link works.  Can you confirm that?
yes, I can confirm this with latest Opera and IE6SP1 too...

but IMO in any case <a name> tags should not include question marks at all since the
question mark is the official separator between URL and QUERY_STRING...; and I believe the
appended '#name' is still considered to be part of the URL; but regardless what is W3C or
not, I think the pages should be viewable with any browser - and that means avoid '?' in name

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message