tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: status of JTA integration
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:35:44 GMT
Robert Krüger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're currently in the process of porting our applications from orion to
> tomcat 5. As our code relies on a JTA environment we tried JOTM (which
> seems to be the recommended JTA environment, especially taking into
> account the announcements regarding the Objectweb and Apache

I'd like to point out that Geronimo does not have anything to do with
either Tomcat or Jakarta.

> partnership). However, the JOTM integration does not appear to be very
> well maintained, e.g. many IMHO crucial pooling configuration parameters
> are not even exposed in their JNDI ObjectFactory. After changing that I

I thought JOTM was the TM of the moment :-(
Oh well ...

The other useable TMs I know about is the one from JBoss. It embeds
Tomcat, and you can configure JBoss to have just Tomcat + the TM + the
DataSource (+ the management stuff) so maybe it can work for you.

> ran into bugs with the connection pool and found the code rather hard to
> read and therefore took a look at tyrex (After all it is still the first
> choice for transaction management for geronimo according to the geronimo
> website). However, the tyrex project (although reopened) seems to be
> rather dead (practically no traffic on the list) and the tomcat
> integration does not seem to be maintained at all. However, the Tyrex
> concepts and code looked OK, therefore I hacked together a tomcat
> integration with ObjectFactories for UserTransaction, DataSource and
> TransactionManager which seems to work OK.
>
> Now I would like to know it there is an "official" position of the
> jakarta team regarding the use of a specific JTA environment now and in
> the near future (geronimo?) and if there is any interest in the code I
> produced for the tyrex integration (I already asked on the tyrex list
> but as stated above it appears to be rather dead and I got no answer).

This was removed because people complained about bugs which were not
fixed (since the project is no longer really active). So I'm reluctant
to add back support. I got in touch with a Tyrex developer a few months
ago, and suggested they added a standard ObjectFactory in their
distribution. I don't know if they did it (if they did, great, there's
no problem anymore).

Rémy