tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Krüger <krue...@signal7.de>
Subject status of JTA integration
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:02:28 GMT

Hi,

we're currently in the process of porting our applications from orion to
tomcat 5. As our code relies on a JTA environment we tried JOTM (which
seems to be the recommended JTA environment, especially taking into
account the announcements regarding the Objectweb and Apache
partnership). However, the JOTM integration does not appear to be very
well maintained, e.g. many IMHO crucial pooling configuration parameters
are not even exposed in their JNDI ObjectFactory. After changing that I
ran into bugs with the connection pool and found the code rather hard to
read and therefore took a look at tyrex (After all it is still the first
choice for transaction management for geronimo according to the geronimo
website). However, the tyrex project (although reopened) seems to be
rather dead (practically no traffic on the list) and the tomcat
integration does not seem to be maintained at all. However, the Tyrex
concepts and code looked OK, therefore I hacked together a tomcat
integration with ObjectFactories for UserTransaction, DataSource and
TransactionManager which seems to work OK.

Now I would like to know it there is an "official" position of the
jakarta team regarding the use of a specific JTA environment now and in
the near future (geronimo?) and if there is any interest in the code I
produced for the tyrex integration (I already asked on the tyrex list
but as stated above it appears to be rather dead and I got no answer).

Thanks in advance for any comments,

Robert

--
Robert Krüger