tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Krüger <krue...@signal7.de>
Subject Coyote Session-Handling
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:04:13 GMT

Hi,

  we're currently porting a number of applications from Orion to Tomcat
5 and I ran into a (not so dramatic) problem. I set up 2 virtual hosts
(i.e. 2 Services) running on the same host but different port and
deployed two web applications. Now it is not possible to use these two
web applications simultaneously as they interfere with each other's
session, i.e. the browser sends the JSESSIONID cookie to both sites
(which is correct according to RFC 2109, I think, because they only
differ in port) but Coyote considers the sent session ID invalid
whenever I change from one application to the other and sets a new one
effectively killing the session I had open in the other application.

Is that behaviour intentional? The code of CoyoteRequest.doGetSession
looks as if that was the case. One possible solution for that would be
to allow opening a new session under the JSESSIONID that was passed to
the web application (in my case the second one accessed). Are you aware
of any negative implications of that approach (I believe orion does it
that way)?

In my case the current behaviour means that I cannot deploy frontend and
backend of my application on the same host only differing in port, which
of course can be overcome by using another host name but I would like to
know if you think this limitation could be removed.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Robert

--