tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kuba <ma...@ics.muni.cz>
Subject Re: ServletRequest.setCharacterEncoding() and GET parameters
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 13:09:52 GMT
Stefanos Karasavvidis wrote:
> This is getting ridiculous.
> Both sides have strong arguments.
> I hadn't thought about this issue until tomcat changed it's behaviour,
> and maybe the Sun folks didn't do it as well.
>
> This should really be clarified within the specification (and I hope
> they come up with a solution that allows us to continue using GET
> parameters as we were used to as this is an absolute necessity... maybe
> by introducing a new method or a second parameter).
>
> Although I do not expect too much, I 've just sent a comment to JSR53
> and JSR154

Sorry, nobody answered my previous question. What is the strong
argument for breaking backward compatibility ?

The RFC 2396 (URI syntax) in part "2.1 URI and non-ASCII characters"
states that:

    However, there is currently
    no provision within the generic URI syntax to accomplish this
    identification. An individual URI scheme may require a single
    charset, define a default charset, or provide a way to indicate the
    charset used.

    It is expected that a systematic treatment of character encoding
    within URI will be developed as a future modification of this
    specification.

It means that URL character encoding is not defined by standards.
So the only problem which I see is that Tomcat suddenly breaks
the de facto standard used for last ten years and tries to
stop application to use GET parameters.

Martin
Supercomputing Center Brno             Martin Kuba
Institute of Computer Science    email: makub@ics.muni.cz
Masaryk University             http://www.ics.muni.cz/~makub/
Botanicka 68a, 60200 Brno, CZ     mobil: +420-603-533775