tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Gomez <hgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jk2 object model
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:57:32 GMT
Mladen Turk a écrit :

> [...]

I like this idea of 'integrator', or provider, or broker.

The term connector is way too limitative, and I'm not sure
we should restrict it to just a way to make a web server discuss
with one or many tomcats.

If we want to do revolution, let's start from this postulat :

- We want a piece of code which will make tomcats AND outside
   world communicating. Outside world could be a webserver, but it
   could be also a cache server, a proprietary application....

The general idea is to create a Native Tomcat Broker, which could
be use of course in web servers.

If we agree on the goal, the model (OO, JMX, APR, WHATEVER++) will follow.

As many I feel that jk (and maybe also jk2) are now pretty stable,
and I don't see the need for a new just web/tomcat connector.

Why ?

Because, this new connector may fail as failed mod_webapp, because
we'll create confusion in users mind, 1, 2, 3 connectors to link a web
server to a tomcat, and rise the usual questions :

- which connector should be used ?

- why so many implementation of the same functionnality ?

And we even a little more ambitious, we could think in term of Java to
Native broker, not sure Tomcat to Native...