tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Stefanos Karasavvidis <ste...@msc.gr>
Subject Re: ServletRequest.setCharacterEncoding() and GET parameters
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:18:08 GMT
Jess Holle wrote:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> -1.
>>
>> The attribute, now that it actually exists, is well documented.
>

> Yes, but the default behavior should be for setCharacterEncoding() to
> work according to general JSP/servlet usage recommendation e.g.:
> http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/MultilingualJSP/.
>
> If there are reasons this is unworkable, then these should be worked out
> with Sun so they stop telling everyone that this approach works.  Until
> then obnoxious ignoramouses like me will try to do what Sun says, fail
> with Tomcat, and blame Tomcat.
>
> --
> Jess Holle

This is getting ridiculous.
Both sides have strong arguments.
I hadn't thought about this issue until tomcat changed it's behaviour,
and maybe the Sun folks didn't do it as well.

This should really be clarified within the specification (and I hope
they come up with a solution that allows us to continue using GET
parameters as we were used to as this is an absolute necessity... maybe
by introducing a new method or a second parameter).

Although I do not expect too much, I 've just sent a comment to JSR53
and JSR154

I just hope that the new tomcat versions will be released soon

Stefanos