tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm RealmBase.java
Date Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:21:33 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 1:18 AM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm
RealmBase.java

> Bill Barker wrote:
> >>remm        2004/01/10 09:23:39
> >>
> >>  Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm
RealmBase.java
> >>  Log:
> >>  - findMethod wasn't called on the right collection.
> >>  - The algorithm ignored extension mapped constraints as long as a
> >
> > widcard
> >
> >>    or exact mapped constraint was found. This doesn't seem right (I did
> >
> > quickly
> >
> >>    read the relevant portions of the spec).
> >

> > -1.  This is exactly what the spec says should happen.  Just because it
is
> > silly doesn't change the fact it is what we have to implement.  Go read
> > section 12.8.3 again.
>
> Ah ok. So the container provided authentication  is really useless after
> all.
> I didn't understand it that way.

It's the only way that you can use the "Combinining Constraints" (section
12.8.1) at all, since that says to use the least restrictive constraint.

> Are there situations where more than one constraint is returned ?

Not very often, but it is possible.  The example in 12.8.2 would be one such
case.