tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <>
Subject RE: Dynamic DNS
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:21:22 GMT
That sounds like NAT (Network Address Translation)
You need to work out what bit of hardware is doing it (usually the router connected to your
incoming line) and re-configure it to forward the correct port(s) the the appropriate machines.

In effect NAT allows you to split a single public facing IP address so that different ports
are handled by different machines, you create what appears to be one machine out of a small
internal network, the approximate opposite of binding several ip addresses to a single machine.

Many domestic routers support NAT, though often with a limit to the number of ports that can
be forwarded.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message