tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Greg.C...@pfizer.com
Subject Intro/question possible buglet with Content-Type and Charsets.
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:13:10 GMT
Hi All,

Quick intro, and then a question;

We use tomcat to host java web applications at our location.  My client
requires us to follow very strict rules for deploying software, that means
it can be a documentation intensive process (evidence gathering/ IQP's etc
....).  So we rarely upgrade as it is quite allot of work..... Luckily
tomcat is excellent and rarely needs upgrading or patching.

Now the question;

Tomcat 4.1.29 seems to insist on added charset to the content type, even if
a Content-Type has been set using response.setContentType or similar
(without a charset).  Tomcat 5 seems to do something similar judging from
http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg49015.html but
I think it fails to check if the Content type is a text one (HTML) and adds
it for any content type, which would appear not to be right IMHO.

Without wishing to appear rude :-) I need to change this behaviour and
remove the insertion of the charset for non text based Content-Types  eg:
application/vnd.ms-excel

Hence could someone give me some pointers / crash course as to which class I
need to patch to remove this?

Thanks.

Greg Cope
GCS Ltd
Assign to: CIT, Sandwich - ISG
Phone: (44) 01304 642040
Fax: (44) 01304 652118

LEGAL NOTICE

Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be
privileged. It is intended for the addresee(s) only. Access to this e-mail
by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure
or copying of the contents of this e-mail or any action taken (or not taken)
in reliance on it is unauthorised and may be unlawful. If you are not an
addressee, please inform the sender immediately.

Pfizer Limited is registered in England under No. 526209 with its registered
office at Ramsgate Road, Sandwich, Kent CT13 9NJ