tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Roth <Mark.R...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Important information about jakarta-servletapi-*
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:54:50 GMT
Hi Mark,

Mark Thomas wrote:
> Mark,
>
> One final question. The javadoc bugs I was looking at were of the following
> types:
>  - @returns used rather than @return
>  - @seealso used rather than @see
>  - etc

Yuck.  :)  It's unfortunate we didn't catch those earlier.  I'm
definitely interested in a list of any such bugs in the JSP APIs and I'm
sure Yutaka is too, for Servlet.  Please send a summary of any such
errors to the spec aliases and we'll be sure to catch them in the next
revision of the specs.

> Is it permitted to make changes to fix these? There were no changes to the
> actual text of the javadoc.

Unfortunately, the answer is no, even though it seems rather silly.  The
reason is that the specifications themselves have an auto-generated copy
of the javadocs in PDF format, and the assertion list for the TCK is
generated, in part, based on the javadoc tags.  Converting an incorrect
@returns to a correct @return would make both the spec PDF and assertion
list get out of sync with the API workspace.  There are other
side-effects as well.

Thanks in advance for the summary to the specification aliases!

---
Mark Roth, Java Software
JSP 2.0 Co-Specification Lead
Sun Microsystems, Inc.