tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Roth <Mark.R...@Sun.COM>
Subject Important information about jakarta-servletapi-*
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:57:50 GMT
Hi everyone,

I've seen a few requests to fix items in the jakarta-servletapi-*
workspaces and wanted to clear up any confusion there might be.

Changes to examples in these workspaces are fine.

However, ANY changes to the core APIs (including even simple javadocs
changes) CANNOT be done outside of the JCP process.  This applies to
both Servlet and JSP APIs.

To make any changes to these APIs, you must propose the change through
the spec aliases, which appear on the front covers of the corresponding
specifications:

     Servlet: servletapi-feedback@eng.sun.com
     JSP:     jsp-spec-comments@eng.sun.com

Your change request will be considered by the specification leads and
potentially debated by the expert group.  Changes to the APIs can only
be done in a maintenance release of the specification, or in the next
revision of the specification.  The Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0
specifications have both been finalized for this release of Tomcat and
are very unlikely to change in any substantial way until the next release.

Please understand that Tomcat is only one of many containers that are
implementing the Servlet and JSP specifications, and the APIs must match
identically on all containers.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions on this
matter.

Thank you for your cooperation.

---
Mark Roth, Java Software