tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: 5.next + 4.1.x future
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:10:57 GMT
Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:
> Remy Maucherat <remm@apache.org> writes:
>

>>My opinion is that NIO is going to be really useless.
>

> Eh, hello!? Oh, okay if it's not important that Tomcat scale and
> perform well it may be useless. But, really, before NIO it was
> hopeless to try and write a scalable and fast tcp server application
> in Java. Tomcat's current connection handling with blocing all over
> the place and "thundering herd" problem doesn't scale or work very
> well under heavy load.

Don't forget that servlets ( which is the main job of tomcat ) use
blocking input/output streams.

NIO select ( which is what most people see first in NIO ) is not going
to help in this. Select is extremely powerfull - but it requires a
certain kind of event-based architecture which doesn't match the
blocking model of servlets ( which has the big benefit of making things
simple for users ).

Think about it - in any case you do need one thread for each active
request, for the servlet. Most of the time is spent in the service()
method - you can do select() as much as you want in http/jk processing,
but you must have the thread for service() ( which can't be avoided
since servlets are allowed to block the thread ).

Only thing you can save is the static servlet - but for that you are
better off using a real server or a cache.

It's sad people see select() first - and don't pay attention to
char-byte convertors in NIO ( a huge ammount of optimization - tomcat
already has something that emulates the same model, so we won't benefit
much ), and the mmapping feature - which is huge for IPC and java-native
communication.

Costin