tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: 5.next + 4.1.x future
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:00:54 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> I would also like to explore, as a separate module, a connector that
>> uses NIO to see what kind of performance we can have. I have no
>> intention of replacing the current connector, and probably I will
>> waste my time trying to have the same performance as the current
>> connector. But I would like to explore it anyway .... ( latter next
>> year, after the security stuff )....
>

> My opinion is that NIO is going to be really useless.
>
> - HTTP processing time is insignificant (BTW, most of the current
> algorithm can be used in non blocking mode, I think)
> - You have to go in blocking mode for the whole Catalina pipeline (ok:
> fast) and for running the user application
> - It will make object reuse more complex (you'll have to have a pool
> holding all the HTTP processors, essentially)

NIO may be good in mod_jk mode - not the select but the mmap.

I agree that select can't help too much given the servlet IO model,
it's the mmap ( and the char-byte conversion ) that are really valuable
in our case.

BTW - another intersting optimization is for JSP static content, which
can be also mmapped to avoid sending it over ( and maybe even get it
sent directly from the disk ).

Costin