tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Fisk <af...@limepeer.com>
Subject Re: Any clue on this, please? Uploading large files - out of memory
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:48:23 GMT
I've heard mention on this list many times of these OutOfMemoryErrors
not being bugs.  I work on a Java app that experiences very high network
traffic load, however, and it's been my experience that
OutOfMemoryErrors are, in fact, always bugs regardless of how tempting
it is to chalk it up to something else.

What makes everyone so certain it's not a bug or multiple bugs?  Since
you don't get stack traces and at best can pin down the thread name for
OutOfMemoryErrors, they take a lot of time to track down.  In my
experience, though, they tend to result from an unaccounted for
degenerate request coming that causes the code to, well, consume all the
available memory (i.e., a bug).

-Adam