tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Johnsson <dan.johns...@omegapoint.se>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5 Issue (not 5.0.16 specific!)
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:20:55 GMT

Jess Holle wrote:
> Tim Funk wrote:
>
>> Section 5.5 of the spec:
>> When a response is closed, the container must immediately flush all
>> remaining content in the response buffer to the client. The following
>> events indicate that the servlet has satisfied the request and that
>> the response object is to be closed:
>> /.../
>> * • The amount of content specified in the setContentLength method of
>> the response has been written to the response. *
>
> That's what I figured.  I'm just a bit uncertain about the corner/end
> case where nothing is to be written to the response, i.e. for a
> content-length of 0.

It becomes clearer to me if I rephrase "The amount /.../ has been
written /.../" to the in this context supposedly equivalent "At least
the amount /.../ has been written /.../". Then the special case of 0
becomes: "At least zero bytes have been written to the response." which
is indisputably true, and thus the response object is to be closed.

	Dan Johnsson
Dan Johnsson               | Säkerhetsarkitekt
dan.johnsson@omegapoint.se | www.omegapoint.se
tel 0709-15 88 43          | fax 08-517 008 29
Omegapoint AB - din säkra punkt i tillvaron