tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jeanfrancois Arcand <jfarc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11 Http11Processor.java
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:42:24 GMT

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> jfarcand@apache.org wrote:
>
>> jfarcand    2003/12/02 08:27:11
>>
>> Modified:    coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote Request.java
>> ActionCode.java catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5
>> CoyoteRequest.java http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11
>> Http11Processor.java Log: Implement getLocalPort using ActionCode
>> instead of getServerPort. Associate 1 ActionCode for each getXXX
>> method.
>>
>> Please review.
>

> I'll have to vote -0 for implementing getLocalPort as mandated in the
> specification, since I think this is a huge mistake, and the spec
> authors intention is misinterpreted (or they didn't think about all
> the consequences of the wording they used, thinking only about the
> case of a server without any proxies, or using an AJP-like scheme).
> BTW, I also think your patch has a sky high likelihood of breaking the
> JK 2 connector ;-)

Can you explain how? The only changes I did was to remove the code
associated with remoteAddr (which was duplicated and useless IMO).

> I said it would be ok, yesterday, but I changed my mind, as this looks
> wrong.
> If Bill votes -1 to this, I'll change my vote to -1.

I should start reverting my patch ;-)

> The problem is that this call is likely intended to allow users to build
> URLs to the server. Actually, this won't work, since the server may not
> be accessible with the connector hostname or port. What actually should
> be returned is what is in the Host header (HTTP/1.0 is a broken
> spec, since it can't possibly work when behind a reverse proxy).
> Otherwise, we're returning completely useless information to the user,
> and the getLocalPort is simply useless.

Make sense.That will also apply to LocalAddr too then. What the specs
states is:

      public java.lang.String getLocalAddr()
             Returns the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the interface on
             which the request  was received.

      public int getLocalPort()
             Returns the Internet Protocol (IP) port number of the interface
             on which the request was received.

I think parsing/using the Host header is the way to go, since it will
work with/without proxy. Can I -1 on myself ;-)

-- Jeanfrancois