tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11 Http11Processor.java
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:59:09 GMT
jfarcand@apache.org wrote:

> jfarcand    2003/12/02 08:27:11
>
> Modified:    coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote Request.java
> ActionCode.java catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5
> CoyoteRequest.java http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11
> Http11Processor.java Log: Implement getLocalPort using ActionCode
> instead of getServerPort. Associate 1 ActionCode for each getXXX
> method.
>
> Please review.

I'll have to vote -0 for implementing getLocalPort as mandated in the
specification, since I think this is a huge mistake, and the spec
authors intention is misinterpreted (or they didn't think about all the
consequences of the wording they used, thinking only about the case of a
server without any proxies, or using an AJP-like scheme). BTW, I also
think your patch has a sky high likelihood of breaking the JK 2
connector ;-)

I said it would be ok, yesterday, but I changed my mind, as this looks
wrong.
If Bill votes -1 to this, I'll change my vote to -1.

The problem is that this call is likely intended to allow users to build
URLs to the server. Actually, this won't work, since the server may not
be accessible with the connector hostname or port. What actually should
be returned is what is in the Host header (HTTP/1.0 is a broken
spec, since it can't possibly work when behind a reverse proxy).
Otherwise, we're returning completely useless information to the user,
and the getLocalPort is simply useless.

Note: Compliant HTTP/1.1 clients must send correct Host header, and
proxy servers are not allowed to modify them.

Rémy