tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11 Http11Processor.java
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:30:30 GMT
Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:

>>> Humm. Then maybe the way HttpServletRequest.getLocalPort() is
>>> implemented is wrong. Can socket.getLocalPort() returns something
>>> different that 80 if the connector supposed to  listen on 80 (maybe
>>> I'm missing something from the jk side here....)
>>
>> I don't remember. I think you should look into the version history. I
>> will tomorrow.
>
> It was added with version 1.23.  Bill ? ;-)
>
> I've just realized that the sslSupport variable is no longer needed (so
> my fix needs to be cleaned).  BTW the test I'm doing is:
>
> telnet localhost 8080
> GET /tomcat-test/ServletTest HTTP/1.1
> Host: localhost
>
> In the servlet, I'm doing request.getLocalPort(), which always returns
> 80. But it works if I do
>
> telnet localhost 8080
> GET /tomcat-test/ServletTest HTTP/1.1
> Host: localhost:8080
>
> ;-)

Thanks for the example, I now remember the reason for the code. So I'll
have to veto your patch.

The rule for HTTP/1.1 is that:
- it should use whatever is specified in the host header
- it should return the protocol default otherwise, since this is the
same as not specifying anything in the host header

This comes from vhosting. serverName and serverPort must contain teh
vhosting information.

HTTP/1.0 doesn't have the host header, so the socket is used.

Now the big question is actually what the new getLocalPort call should
return. If you need an extra localPort (and its friend getLocalName -
did you notice the getLocalName() call was always returning whatever
hostname was in the host header) field in the request because it doesn't
correspond to vhosting (I consider it would be yet another major blunder
of the Servlet spec, but what can I do ...), then so be it.

Rémy